• One of the first musical ensembles addressing the authentic style of performing Baroque music in Russia.
• Revives the tradition of improvisational music-playing and ensemble playing dating back to the 17th-18th centuries, the period when orchestras started being referred to as "capellas".
• A distinct timbre coloring of the sound is provided both by the cast of musicians and a new perspective on the interpretation along with cherishing the author's original design.
• Today Instrumental Capella is a multi-genre orchestra presenting both classical and contemporary music.
Founded in 1978 by Russia's Honored Man of Arts Alexander Afanasyev.
Prominent musicians collaborated with the orchestra at times – award winners of international competitions T. Grindenko, A. Lyubimov, O. Khudyakov.
The ensemble benefited immensely from the efforts of artistic leaders:
- virtuoso double bass player, soloist of London Symphony Orchestra Rinat Ibragimov
- violinist Gennady Derkach
- Honored Artist of Russia, pianist Alexander Ghindin
Since 2015 the orchestra has been led by Russia's Honored Man of Arts, chief choirmaster of Mariinsky theatre Andrey Petrenko.
The ensemble performs at major venues in Moscow and Moscow region. Instrumental Capella received Diploma of International festival for chamber orchestras in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. The musicians were featured in Moscow Kremlin's Easter festivals headed by Valery Gergiyev with Nuremberg Baroque Choir (2012).The orchestra's repertoire includes music dating back to the Baroque period (Bach, Vivaldi), Viennese classicism (Haydn, Mozart), romanticism (Schubert, Mendelssohn), music written by Russian composers (Arensky, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov), 20th century music (Britten, Shostakovich, Schnittke), and also popular pieces and masterpieces for the cinema. The programs can be performed both by the full and limited number of musicians: quartet, quintet. The orchestra has various projects for children in store, including interactive shows, theatrical performances, operas, musical and educational recitals.
Conductor – award winner of international competitions Vyacheslav Valeyev.